Now I am not Southern, well at least not that southern, but I do love The Living Daylights out of some southern food. I’m talking collard greens, mac and cheese, fried chicken, crawfish, catfish, all the fish. I know it isn’t good for me but damn if it isn’t tasty sometimes. So I was chatting with my sister and decided, quite at random, that we need to do a low country boil. If you are unfamiliar with the concept, let ms enlighten you. Picture if you will: shrimp; crawdad; potatoes; corn; Smoked sausage; and enough Cajun seasoning to titalate your tastebuds all boiled together to completion. Now serve it with some drawn butter, cocktail sauce, and a remoulade sauce.
Now I’m no expert on this, frankly I’m doing this by the seat of my pants, but I know what tastes good at least to me and I’m going to make me some boiled shrimp, I am.
- 2 lbs shrimp: uncooked, shells on, deviened.
- 3 lbs crawfish: alive if you can get em, ya can’t here in AZ
- 2 lbs smoked sausage: cut into 2 inch pieces.
- 1 packet zaterans shrimp boil seasoning
- 3 lbs red potatoes: rinsed
- 6 ears of corn: if at all possible use fresh, frozen is fine but the texture is diffrent.
- 1/2 Cup hot sauce
- Bring 2 gallons of water to a boil with the seasoning bag.
- When water is boiling add in the potatoes and sausage. Boil for approx 20 minutes.
- Add in corn, continue to boil for additional 15 minutes.
- Drop in your crawfish. Boil for 10 minutes.
- When craw fish begin to float add in your shrimp and let boil 5 minutes.
- At this point add in extra seasoning, if you are using it, then turn off the heat.
- Add in 1/2 a buckets worth of ice. This will slow the cooking proccess and let everything steep in the broth for a few minutes.
- Now while everything is steeping, go outside and line a table with newspaper, set up space so everyone eating has access.
- Now this is essential, remove your glorious stew from its pot, drain it well and dump all of you seafoody goodness out on to the newspaper lined table.
- DIG IN!!
Remember that the variations on this are limitless add in whatever suits you.
Prep time: 1.5 hrs